Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 348: is it worth holding out / paying more for a later model?

Name
    cgt

I had one of the very earliest 1989 cars (LHD) with rear battery then a number of later variants. Much as with 1994 2.7 and later 5.2 versions of the 355 there really was no noticeable difference that I can recall (other than the early 355 having a much nicer non-airbag steering wheel).

At this age it's all about history and maintenance as several have said above.

By any modern objective standard the handling is ancient (but a good thing for the raw feel) and going for a front battery version will not transform the handling into something like a carbon tub McLaren

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Nosevi is online now There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by cgt View Post
    I had one of the very earliest 1989 cars (LHD) with rear battery then a number of later variants. Much as with 1994 2.7 and later 5.2 versions of the 355 there really was no noticeable difference that I can recall (other than the early 355 having a much nicer non-airbag steering wheel).

At this age it's all about history and maintenance as several have said above.

By any modern objective standard the handling is ancient (but a good thing for the raw feel) and going for a front battery version will not transform the handling into something like a carbon tub McLaren
    I'd agree with that, although I would say the handling of my car was transformed with proper Geo setup, new rubber and getting that lump of an OEM exhaust off the tail of the car and replacing it for a far lighter Sports exhaust. Even I noticed the difference and that's saying something

Zuff is offline Ask me about flowers. I'm an expert Club Member
    Name
    Simon

I miss mine too. Charismatic cars! As others have said, these cars are over 25 years old. So any tweaks made during the production run would be totally overwhelmed by chassis and suspension degradation. Ignore the age but buy the best condition car. Drive it and if you like it leave well alone. If not tinker away. Its half the fun. Compared to later cars it is always going to be compromised but it is a full on Ferrari experience!

Nosevi is online now There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Zuff View Post
    I miss mine too. Charismatic cars! As others have said, these cars are over 25 years old. So any tweaks made during the production run would be totally overwhelmed by chassis and suspension degradation. Ignore the age but buy the best condition car. Drive it and if you like it leave well alone. If not tinker away. Its half the fun. Compared to later cars it is always going to be compromised but it is a full on Ferrari experience!
    Definitely a common theme - many ex-owners miss their 348. They’re not for everyone but they do have a certain charm

Totally agree with the bit in bold. There’s a significant difference between good and poor examples that come onto the market and the difference in asking prices is generally a great deal less than the cost of turning a tatty example into a well sorted car.

Allandwf is offline Essex boy's Ford Capri Club Member
    Name
    Allan Fisher

Default 348

The 348 is also , possibly, one of the last diy friendly Ferraris. Just an update on mine, I bought a tatty one that had been off the road for 11 years, it had an engine out service and the brakes done prior to me purchasing. I decided to run it and see what happened, that was a year and a half ago, other than an immobiliser issue it has been great. Yes it has a few niggles, mainly electrical, to sort but it runs and drives great.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123